Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Midwife Appointment #1

I had my first appointment with my midwife this evening. She was supposed to come tomorrow but she needed to do my labs and it's best to do those at the beginning of the week. So that was one thing she did tonight. She stuck me with one of those dreaded needles and took my blood. That is probably one of the reasons that I avoid doctors. I just simply despise needles. They are necessary evil though so I had to deal with it.

The appointment went well. I love using a midwife because you can discuss things with you just simply couldn't with a doctor. There isn't enough time in a doctors office. We recounted my previous birth. I shared some fears that seemed to have cropped up since then. She was able to give me a more accurate account of that morning as well. As I had remembered, it was a FAST labor. I went from 5 cm to 7 cm in about an hour. It progressed quickly to 8cm and 9cm. At 11:15am I had just a lip. Pinky Poo was born at 11:24am. I told her that I remember it feeling like she simply put her feet on the top of my uterus shoved herself out. (Come to think of it, that little girl loves to straighten her legs and bounce in my lap. Must come from practice in the womb. There were times it felt like she was standing up in there.)

Then we got to the case at hand. . .bedrest. URGH!!!!! I am down for the count, at least until I am 18 weeks. That will be the first week of December. The next two weeks I have to sit with my feet up BUT she wants me up moving a bit for 15 minutes. I can pick up NOTHING!!!! (Except a very light shopping bag, her example, LOL!!!) In 2 weeks we'll reevaluate and see if there are activities I can add back into my load. Regardless, it still must be light work. I must do everything I can to prevent any further tearing in there. If I don't, it could potentially lead to the whole placenta coming away from the uterus and then we lose the baby. She considers me me a high risk pregnancy until at least 20 weeks. But I am not so high risk that I need a dr. That I am thankful for. I trust Rose Marie. I believe she will tell me when it's time to seek professional help if we get there. She's been a midwife for over 20 years. She knows her stuff.

The good news, I can go to church on Sunday. Assuming no one is hacking up a lung that day, we'll finally get to go back to church. I have to sit when I get there. I must be very careful getting out of and into the van. That is the ONLY place I can go right now. I'll take it though. Better than full bedrest.

So that is the jist of it. I got to hear the heartbeat. I am still in a bit of denial that there is a baby in there. I am hoping to begin feeling regular movement soon. That will help with the denial. Can't deny little feet kicking you. :) I can't wait either. Oh, I gave predictions today. I think it's a boy. I had a moment this past few days where I just suddenly felt that it was a boy. We'll find out at the beginning of December. In the meantime, this is Simply Baby Pup. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about pregnancy.... I miss it so much already!! I can't wait to have number 2!!

    ReplyDelete